FAITH NEWS SERVICE – United States—Friday, March 31, 2023
Athena Dean Holtz, a former industry insider and top producer who reached the top in three multilevel marketing (MLM) organizations, exposes the spiritual dangers of network marketing for Christians in her newly updated book, Empty at the Top. In this searingly honest personal story, Holtz reveals the dirty secrets of MLM and how relationships are misused for financial gain.
Holtz describes her journey from being a successful businesswoman to experiencing spiritual emptiness due to her involvement in MLM. She explains why so many people, particularly the most vulnerable, get sucked into what she calls “the lie”—the false promise that success comes easily with MLM.
Holtz warns readers that although it may seem like a lucrative opportunity to make money quickly, there is often more than meets the eye with MLM businesses. She shares examples of how these companies often rely on manipulation, guilt-tripping, and cult-like tactics to keep their members engaged and motivated.
Anyone who has considered being involved in MLM, or who knows others who are, will find this book compelling and eye-opening.
5 Stars – Raw but needed Expose of the world of MLM
“The author boldly takes on a controversial topic through her very honest and raw account of her rise to the top (3 times) in MLM companies, and why she now warns anyone she can of the dangers within these organizations. It is quite an expose’ of the secret deceptive and insidious tactics used to recruit your downline. This is a must read for any Christ-follower who, like Athena has and perhaps is currently experiencing great success in MLM, as well as those who are considering the pursuit of this kind of business.”
For more information
To schedule an interview or for more information about this press release, please contact Athena Dean Holtz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Author
Athena Dean Holtz spent ten years pursuing and reaching success and profit in network marketing. Founder and publisher of the hybrid Redemption Press, and a multi-published author and speaker, she is also an award-winning podcast host, and founder of the acclaimed She Writes for Him national events for Christian writers and speakers. She and her pastor husband Dr. Ross Holtz live in Enumclaw, Wash.
Suggested Interview Questions
- Why do you think the topic of MLM and Christians is so polarizing?
- Why do you think American Christians—especially women—are drawn to multi-level marketing (MLM)?
- What do you feel is the main “red flag” and deception of MLM’s business model?
- You first published this book thirty years ago, do you feel the danger of MLM involvement is still as prevalent today? How so?
- What do you say to Christians feel MLM is an answer to prayer, and may be funding ministry, and helping others through MLM?
- How have MLM’s practices changed? Are they still as manipulative?
- What’s the main danger of bringing MLM involvement into the church?
- What’s your advice for those involved in MLM?