FAITH NEWS SERVICE – United States—Monday, February 13, 2023
Margaret Brown is proud to present her book, Ankle Breaker.
Margaret wrote Ankle Breaker to tell the story of Detective Pete Willover solving a decades-old murder case alongside the story of Marty Brown, her own husband.
Marty Brown coaches a middle-school basketball team of inner-city sixth graders who were barely able to dribble a ball at the start of the season. With dogged perseverance, they worked hard to earn a spot in the Nor-Cal Championship Tournament. But the joyful memory of that winning season is overshadowed by the dark reality of murder. Based on a true story, Ankle Breaker follows Coach Brown and the kids’ drive to the top while simultaneously working backward with Detective Willover to bring justice in this DNA cold case.
Margaret Brown’s Ankle Breaker will be free and available for download on Amazon for 5 days, February 14 through February 18, 2023. Ankle Breaker is highly rated by those who have purchased the book. Here’s what some of the reviewers have said:
Fast paced, poignant and compelling
Reviewed in the United States on February 8, 2023
“Fast-paced, poignant and a compelling told story that can be simply enjoyed as a “great read” (but don’t be surprised if you find yourself inspired to volunteer in your community while reading this book). A key takeaway for me- even while we are finding our own way in life we can care for and enhance the lives of others simultaneously. I would recommend this book for teenagers and adults of all ages; its message is wide-ranging and universal.”
Maggie Van Fossan
A great story. Real and Raw.
Reviewed in the United States on February 5, 2023
“A wonderful picture of a man questioning the meaning of life and the reality of God. Couldn’t put it down with its many twists and turns. A page-turner.”
For More Information: Example: For more questions or to schedule an interview about this press release please contact Margaret Brown at (503) 866-6701 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Author: Margaret Brown is a wife, mother, grandmother, retired career missionary, spiritual director, and author who holds a master’s degree in Spiritual Formation from Portland Seminary at George Fox University. She loves to read, hike with her dog, Bella, and do crosswords and other puzzles. Margaret and her husband, Marty, live on eight acres outside of Portland, Oregon, where they love to host friends and family. While she enjoys the ocean, her pinnacle of happiness is spending time with her amazing children and wild and crazy grandkids.
Suggested Interview Questions
- The book contains a lot of basketball strategy. Have you ever played the game yourself?
- What does the title Ankle Breaker refer to?
- Were you able to interview any of the people involved in these true events?
- The main character in the book is based on your husband. How did the events of this story impact his sense of urgency to share the Gospel?
- The book touches on a couple of topics that are currently getting a lot of attention: police violence against people of color, and society’s unfair treatment of women. What kind of response are you getting about your treatment of these subjects?
- Since the main plot is based on your husband’s personal experiences, how much did he contribute to your writing process?
- Why did your husband choose to coach in a school that couldn’t even afford uniforms?
- Of course, lower-economic communities across the country struggle with funding for their schools. What would you say to someone who is considering volunteering or accepting lower pay to work with kids in those environments?
- How can sports, and other extracurricular activities, help kids who struggle in school or with issues at home?
- What is the main message that you hope readers will take away from this book?