FAITH NEWS SERVICE – United States—Friday, February 17, 2023
Margaret Brown is thrilled to present her new book, Ankle Breaker.
Margaret wrote Ankle Breaker to tell the true story of Detective Pete Willover solving a decades-old murder case alongside the story of Marty Brown, her own husband.
Marty Brown coaches a middle-school basketball team of inner-city sixth graders who were barely able to dribble a ball at the start of the season. With dogged perseverance, they worked hard to earn a spot in the Nor-Cal Championship Tournament. But the joyful memory of that winning season is overshadowed by the dark reality of murder. Based on a true story, Ankle Breaker follows Coach Brown and the kids’ drive to the top while simultaneously working backward with Detective Willover to bring justice in this DNA cold case.
Margaret Brown’s Ankle Breaker is available to download for free on Amazon through February 18, 2023. Ankle Breaker is highly rated by those who have purchased the book. Here’s what some of the reviewers have said:
Endearing and Captivating
Reviewed in the United States on February 7, 2023
“Brown weaves two seemingly unrelated stories into one, piecing them together in captivating detail. I loved reading the story of Coach Marty – how his reluctant decision to coach a rookie, middle school basketball team led to a heartwarming bond, sense of belonging for each player, and love for the game and each other. Simultaneously, I was eager to find out where the murder story was going to take us. She writes just enough to keep you interested and wanting more!”
Made for TV Movie material
Reviewed in the United States on February 3, 2023
“During these challenging times I look for reading material that is encouraging and/or inspirational. This book provides both. The author does a fine job of weaving two story lines together such that in the end the story reflects life… the joy of great accomplishment and the tragedy and pain that attaches to everyday life everywhere. The fact that this story is based upon the lives of real people, raw people, underscores the theme that one person can still make a difference. Easy read, loved it and would recommend it to people every age.”
For More Information: For more questions or to schedule an interview about this press release please contact Margaret Brown at (503) 866-6701 or email email@example.com.
About the Author: Margaret Brown is a wife, mother, grandmother, retired career missionary, spiritual director, and author who holds a master’s degree in Spiritual Formation from Portland Seminary at George Fox University. She loves to read, hike with her dog, Bella, and do crosswords and other puzzles. Margaret and her husband, Marty, live on eight acres outside of Portland, Oregon, where they love to host friends and family. While she enjoys the ocean, her pinnacle of happiness is spending time with her amazing children and wild and crazy grandkids.
Suggested Interview Questions
- The book contains a lot of basketball strategy. Have you ever played the game yourself?
- What does the title Ankle Breaker refer to?
- Were you able to interview any of the people involved in these true events?
- The main character in the book is based on your husband. How did the events of this story impact his sense of urgency to share the Gospel?
- The book touches on a couple of topics that are currently getting a lot of attention: police violence against people of color, and society’s unfair treatment of women. What kind of response are you getting about your treatment of these subjects?
- Since the main plot is based on your husband’s personal experiences, how much did he contribute to your writing process?
- Why did your husband choose to coach in a school that couldn’t even afford uniforms?
- Of course, lower-economic communities across the country struggle with funding for their schools. What would you say to someone who is considering volunteering or accepting lower pay to work with kids in those environments?
- How can sports, and other extracurricular activities, help kids who struggle in school or with issues at home?
- What is the main message that you hope readers will take away from this book?