FAITH NEWS SERVICE – United States—June 30, 2023
Unleash your inner performer! Michael Merker, a director and performer of unmatched caliber, is ecstatic to unveil his much-awaited book – Depth by Drama. This revolutionary guide is your key to crafting captivating and life changing Bible-based dramas.
Armed with decades of enriching experience as a director, professional actor, and musician, Michael Merker has devoted his existence to disseminating the gospel through the magnetic force of theatrical productions. His unquenchable thirst for storytelling, coupled with an unwavering commitment to accuracy and authenticity, distinguishes him in the realm of Christian theater. In Depth by Drama, Merker unveils his treasure trove of knowledge and expertise, empowering you to animate the Bible on stage.
The essence of Depth by Drama is perfectly encapsulated in the back cover copy: “Discover the transformative power of drama as you learn how to create compelling Bible-based performances that captivate audiences and deepen their understanding of scripture. In Depth by Drama, Michael Merker offers practical tips, techniques, and strategies for crafting unforgettable productions that bring the Word of God to life.”
Through Depth by Drama, Merker extends a heartfelt invitation to accompany him on this extraordinary expedition, utilizing the potency of theater to propagate the gospel and touch hearts in a deeply moving way.
Don’t let this golden opportunity slip away! Grab your indispensable guide to creating and presenting Bible-based shows. Depth by Drama is available to download for free on Amazon through July 1, 2023, with the print copy available on Amazon, and anywhere books are sold. Depth by Drama continues to receive rave reviews! Here’s what just a couple reviewers have said:
5 Stars – A New Way of Approaching Discipleship
“Michael Merker brings a new perspective to how drama can be used as a discipleship tool for all ages, not just children. He brings a wealth of knowledge of the theater and drama productions and he is able to express technical concepts about acting, directing, and production clearly and with dry wit. I learned so much!
“He also challenges the conventional thinking about dramatic arts by pushing the reader to think more broadly how it can be used for God’s glory. He convincingly argues that by immersing one’s self in Biblical texts (or any other texts for that matter) in preparation for a performance results in deeper and fuller understanding of Scripture, regardless of whether it turns into a production or not.”
5 Stars – Witness of Faith.
“The author opens his heart in witness of his faith and encourages others to let theirs play out in the world as well. Bravo Mr. Merker.”
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Michael Merker has both a bachelor’s and a master’s of fine arts (BFA/MFA) in acting and directing, from the Goodman School of Drama of the Art Institute of Chicago (now the Theatre School at DePaul University). After working for years as a professional actor, director, stage manager, and musician, he went on to write, direct, and perform Bible-based plays in church and parachurch settings. He enjoys playing guitar, bass, keyboards, and drums on worship teams. He’s been married over forty-four years to his wife, Linda. Together they homeschooled their six children, and they now have ten grandchildren. He currently resides in the Puget Sound area.
For interviews, contact Michael.W.Merker@ActingOutHisWord.com
Social media links:
Suggested Interview Questions
- You’re so thorough in your guide for adapting the Bible and other Christian literary works for the stage. Do you think a bare-bones production can be as impactful, both for the audience and the performers, as a high-budget one?
- What tips do you have for non-actors who would like to participate but find they suffer from stage fright?
- There have been some successful well-known theatrical and film adaptations of Bible stories. What’s your take on shows like Jesus Christ Superstar and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat?
- What are your thoughts about The Chosen as a ministry tool?
- What are your plans for future productions?
- What would be the most encouraging feedback you could receive from readers of this book?
- For readers who don’t necessarily want to create a performance piece, or even study the Bible with a group, what benefits might your book have for them?
- What is your message for people who believe that the arts are an ungodly pursuit?